The building of the Small Synagogue (bet-hamidrash) is located at the intersection of Krzywa and Mikolaja Kopernika Streets. Although it has changed its function many times, it has survived and reminds us of the numerous Jewish community living in Chelm before World War II.
The synagogue was built in 1912-1914 with contributions from the faithful. It also housed a poor relief society and a Talmudic school. The building has a modest decor with pilasters and cornices, and a gable with stylized Decalogue tablets above the entrance. During World War II the building was devastated, and after the end of the war it served as a warehouse and NOT Technician’s House. It is currently in private hands. Until 1940 there was an old synagogue next door (on Krzywa Street).